Barbara A. Barnett
Barbara A. Barnett is a Philadelphia-area writer and musician. Her short fiction, which ranges from the dark to the whimsical, has appeared in publications such as Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Fantasy Magazine, Cast of Wonders, Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show, Daily Science Fiction, Flash Fiction Online, Black Static, and Wilde Stories: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction.
Barbara is a graduate of the Odyssey Writing Workshop and currently serves as managing editor of the workshop’s blog and Resident Supervisor for The Never-Ending Odyssey (TNEO) workshop, a workshop exclusively for Odyssey graduates.
Barbara earned her Bachelor of Arts in music (vocal performance) and English literature from the University of Maryland and her Masters in Library and Information Science from Rutgers University. She has spent most of her non-writing professional life working for performing arts organizations, first doing grant writing and database management for opera and theater companies, then working as an orchestra librarian for The Philadelphia Orchestra and the Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music.
A full bibliography is available at http://babarnett.com/fiction/bibliography/
Awards and Memberships
Active Member, SFWA
I have done public readings; been a panelist at conventions; organized and moderated writing workshops, critique groups, and discussions; and presented the following talks/lectures:
For the South Jersey Writers' Group:
- Turning Ideas into Stories and Other Tales from Publishing
- Lights, Camera, Writing! Acting Techniques for Building Character
- The Inner Journey: Exploring Your Character's Emotional Landscape
- What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love & Writing Humor?
- So Emotional: Using Emotion Arcs in Your Writing
- Buffy the Rejection Slayer: Defeating Doubt, Procrastination & Other Writerly Demons
- The Musical Stylings of Your Prose
- Top Literary Agents for New F/SF/H Writers
- "Exercising" Your Dialogue Demons