Mike Chen is the author of character-driven science fiction and a regular contributor to major pop culture/geek websites. His debut novel HERE AND NOW AND THEN, about a time-traveler who must raise — and then save — his daughter across time, will be released in early 2019 by MIRA/Harlequin. He has provided commentary and insight for such websites as Tor.com, The Mary Sue, The Portalist, and more, in addition to nearly a decade as a sportswriter covering the NHL and a successful freelance copywriting/technical writing business. As a web developer for the publishing industry, he has also built websites for Manuscript Wishlist, Pitch Wars, and numerous individual author sites. He is represented by Eric Smith of PS Literary Agency (and built his website).
- Here and Now and Then – Q1 2019 – MIRA/Harlequin
- Title Forthcoming – Q1 2020 – MIRA/Harlequin
- "Anonymous" – June 2017 – Storyteller Magazine
- What Star Wars learned from literary fiction – Tor.com, 2017
- Is canon as important as we think it is? – The Portalist, 2017
- The 13th Doctor can teach us a lot about being human – The Portalist, 2017
- Why story matters in video games – The Portalist, 2017
- Don't listen to your family; you should totally geekify your baby – The Mary Sue, 2015
- In defense of the Star Wars prequels – The Mary Sue, 2015
Awards and Memberships
SFWA, active member
Codex Writers, active member
Potential topics include:
As an author: Path to publication, query letters and agenting, the submission process, writing genre mash-ups, building author websites, outlining for 3-act structure, Save the Cat beat sheets
As a geek commentator: See list of non-fiction posts for pop culture websites for sampling of topics. Fandom discussions include Star Wars, Star Trek: TNG, Doctor Who, Robotech, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid.