Matthew S. Rotundo
Matt wrote his first story—”The Elephant and the Cheese”—when he was eight years old. It was the first time he had ever filled an entire page with writing. To his young mind, that seemed like a major accomplishment. It occurred to him shortly thereafter that writing stories was what he wanted to do with his life.
Matt gravitated to science fiction, fantasy, and horror at an early age, too. He discovered Ray Bradbury’s “The Fog Horn” in a grade school reader, and read it over and over whenever he got bored in class. (Needless to say, he read it a lot.) Other classics soon followed—Dune and Lord of the Rings and Foundation, the usual suspects. As a boy, he often pretended his bicycle was Shadowfax, and that he was Gandalf, riding like mad for Minas Tirith. Yeah, he was that kind of kid. Half the time, his family and friends didn’t know what the hell he was talking about.
Matt’s story “Alan Smithee Lives in Hell” placed second in the 1997 Science Fiction Writers of Earth Contest. In 1998, he attended Odyssey. The workshop led directly to his first sale—”Black Boxes,” in Absolute Magnitude. In 2002, Matt won a Phobos Award for “Hitting the Skids in Pixeltown.” He was a 2008 winner in the Writers of the Future Contest. He has since continued to publish in various magazines.
Matt lives in Nebraska. He has husked corn only once in his life, and has never been detasseling, so he insists he is not a hick.
- “From Earth I Have Arisen” in Alembical 3, Paper Golem (May 2014)
- “Wet Work: A Tale of the Unseen” in Intergalactic Medicine Show (September 2013)
- “Doppler Shift” in Launch Pad, Dark Star (September 2013)
- “Light Chimes” in Penumbra March 2013)
- “Odd Jobs” in Buzzy Mag (June 2012)
- “Right Before Your Very Eyes” in Intergalactic Medicine Show #19 (October 2010)
- "The Woman Who Hated Halloween," Damnation Books (September 2010)
- “Ashes, Ashes” in Tales of the Unanticipated #30 (April 2010)
- “Canaan” in Jim Baen’s Universe (October 2009)
- “Gone Black” in Writers of the Future Volume XXV, Galaxy Press (September 2009)
- “The Multiplicity Has Arrived” in Intergalactic Medicine Show #12 (May 2009)
- “Fuel” in Cosmos (online edition, April 2009), audio version available on Escape Pod(episode 263, October 2010)
- “The Frankenstein Diaries” in Intergalactic Medicine Show #8 and #9 (April 2008, June 2008)
- “Brains” in Farthing #4 (September 2006)
- “Aces and Eights” in Neo-opsis #9 (June 2006)
- “Alan Smithee Lives in Hell” in Here & Now #5/6 (May 2005), also available on AnthologyBuilder
- “The Alternate History of Arthur Eisen” in Paradox #6 (December 2004)
- “Ascension” in Absolutely Brilliant in Chrome, Phobos Books (April 2004), also available on AnthologyBuilder
- “Hitting the Skids in Pixeltown” in Hitting the Skids in Pixeltown, Phobos Books (September 2003), also available on AnthologyBuilder
- “Black Boxes” in Absolute Magnitude #15 (Spring 2001), reprinted in Prime Codex, Paper Golem (May 2007)
- “Northbound on I-35” in Thin Ice XVI (September 1994)
- “To Hollywood and Beyond: Adventures at the 2009 Writers of the Future Workshop and Awards” in New Myths, December 2009
Awards and Memberships
Active Member, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
Writers of the Future, 1st Place, Q1 2008
Phobos Award Winner, 2002
Science Fiction Writers of Earth, 2nd Place, 1997