Jason V Brock
Jason V Brock is an award-winning and nominated writer, editor, filmmaker, composer, and artist, and has been widely-published online, in comic books, magazines, and anthologies, such as Qualia Nous, Disorders of Magnitude (nonfiction collection; finalist for the Bram Stoker and Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards), Simulacrum and Other Possible Realities (fiction/poetry collection), Fungi, Weird Fiction Review, Fangoria, S. T. Joshi's Black Wings series, and many others.
He was Art Director/Managing Editor for Dark Discoveries magazine for more than four years, and publishes a pro journal called [NameL3ss], which can be found on Twitter: @NamelessMag, and on the Interwebs at www.NamelessDigest.com. He and his wife, Sunni, also run Cycatrix Press (books include A Darke Phantastique [Bram Stoker Award nominee], and The Bleeding Edge, to name just two), and have a technology consulting business.
As a filmmaker, his work includes the critically-acclaimed documentaries Charles Beaumont: The Life of Twilight Zone’s Magic Man, The AckerMonster Chronicles! (winner of the 2014 Rondo Hatton Award for Best Documentary), and Image, Reflection, Shadow: Artists of the Fantastic. He is the primary composer and instrumentalist/singer for his band, ChiaroscurO. Brock loves his wife, their family of herptiles, travel, and vegan/vegetarianism.
Anthology Appearances (partial list)
- Like Water for Quarks, fiction.
- Butcher Knives & Body Counts, nonfiction.
- The Bleeding Edge: Dark Barriers, Dark Frontiers, fiction. (Co-editor)
- The Devil’s Coattails: More Dispatches from the Dark Frontier, fiction. (Co-editor)
- Black Wings II, fiction.
- Night Terrors II, fiction.
- Slices of Flesh, fiction.
- Blood Type: An Anthology of Vampire SF on the Cutting Edge, fiction.
- Black Wings III, fiction.
- Searchers After Horror, fiction.
- A Darke Phantastique—Encounters with the Uncanny and Other Magical Things…, fiction. (Editor)
- Shrieks and Shivers, fiction.
- Black Wings IV, fiction.
- Innsmouth Nightmares, fiction.
- nEvermore!, fiction.
- Horror 201: The Silver Scream, nonfiction.
- Discoveries: Best of Horror and Dark Fantasy, fiction and afterword. (Co-editor)
- Chiral Mad 3, fiction.
- You, Human, fiction.
- Nightmare's Realm, fiction.
- Ghosts in Popular Culture and Legend, nonfiction.
- Brothers in Arms, fiction (w/ William F. Nolan).
- Totems and Taboos, illustrated poetry chapbook.
- Simulacrum and Other Possible Realities, fiction and poetry.
- Disorders of Magnitude: A Survey of Dark Fantasy, nonfiction.
- The Dark Sea Within and Other Macabre Revelations, fiction and poetry.
Novels (partial list)
- Milton’s Children
Poetry (partial list)
- Spectral Realms #1, poetry digest.
- Spectral Realms #2, poetry digest.
- Spectral Realms #3, poetry digest.
- Spectral Realms #4, poetry digest.
Comics and Graphic Novels
- Logan's Run: Last Day
- Logan's Run: Aftermath
- Logan's Run: Solo
- Tales from William F. Nolan's Dark Universe
Other Print and Online Appearances (partial list)
- Calliope (A publication of Mensa.)
- San Diego Comic-Con International Souvenir Book
- American Rationalist Newsletter
- Dark Discoveries, magazine. (Managing Editor/Art Director/Contributor)
- Weird Fiction Review #2, digest.
- William F. Nolan: A Miscellany, chapbook. Editor/Designer.
- [NameL3ss] Digest and website. (Founder/Editor-in-Chief/Art Director/Contributor)
- Weird Fiction Review #3, digest.
- Nolan on Bradbury: Sixty Years of Writing about the Master of Science Fiction, nonfiction.
- Fungi #21
- Monstrous Singularities, online.
- Weird Fiction Review #4, digest.
- Weird Fiction Review #5, digest.
- Like a Dead Man Walking and Other Shadow Tales (formerly titled The Blood Princess and Other Shadow Tales), fiction collection by William F. Nolan. (Editor)
- Logan's Run: The Definitive Edition, by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson.
- Fungi #22
- The Mirrors, by Nicole Cushing. Publisher.
- Weird Fiction Review #6, digest.
- Charles Beaumont: The Life of Twilight Zone’s Magic Man, documentary. Director/Writer/Producer.
- The AckerMonster Chronicles!, documentary. Director/Writer/Producer.
- Image, Reflection, Shadow: Artists of the Fantastic, documentary. Director/Writer/Producer.
Awards and Memberships
- Pacific Printing Industries (PPI), 2010 – Book and Jacket Design (The Bleeding Edge; Winner)
- Pacific Printing Industries (PPI), 2012 – Book and Jacket Design (The Devil's Coattails; Winner)
- The Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards, 2014 – Best Documentary (The AckerMonster Chronicles!; Winner)
- The Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards, 2014 – Best Book (Disorders of Magnitude; Finalist)
- The Bram Stoker Awards (HWA), 2014 – Superior Achievement in Anthology (A Darke Phantastique; Finalist)
- The Bram Stoker Awards (HWA), 2014 – Superior Achievement in Nonfiction (Disorders of Magnitude; Finalist)
- Member, Horror Writers Association (HWA).
- Member, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA).
- Member, International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts (IAFA).
- Member, Photo Marketing Association (PMA).
- Member, Certified Photographic Consultants (CPC).
- Member, Society of Photofinishing Engineers (SPFE).
With a large personality and gregarious nature, he is a frequent special guest and popular panelist at many horror and science fiction conventions (such as Necronomicon-Providence, MythosCon, Norwescon, Crypticon, World Horror Convention, World Fantasy Convention, and others) and film festivals (including the H. P. Lovecraft Film Festival, Buffalo International Film Festival, Lovecraft's Visions, etc.) and has been compared in intensity to Harlan Ellison and Charles Beaumont by his friends and colleagues. He has also been a guest lecturer and speaker at various colleges and universities.
Brock is represented by literary agent Cherry Weiner. In late 2015, he was featured as the Editor Guest of Honor at the largest science fiction convention in Oregon, OryCon 37.